Cardiac Catheterization Instructions
1. Nothing to eat or drink after midnight on the day of the procedure except to take your medication with a few sips of water, unless directed by your physician.
2. If you are a diabetic or on Coumadin, check with your physician as the dose may need to be adjusted. If you are on Glucophage, you will need to hold your dosage for a period of 1-2 days.
3. Please bring a list of your current medications, the current dose, and how many times a day you take them.
4. A heart Catheterization is an all-day procedure and requires 4-8 hours of bed rest. Please arrange for someone to drive you home when you are discharged.
5. Please leave all your expensive valuables at home. Check books, credit card and cash is not needed.
6. The recovery room does have restricted visiting hours. Children below the age of 12 are not admitted and only two visitors are allowed at anyone time.
7. If you are allergic to IVP dye please don’t forget to take prednisone as prescribed.
8. Aspirin- (enteric coated) It is preferred that you take this medication on the day of the procedure.
If you have any further questions, please call our office.